With summer at its peak, here are some suggestions to beat the heat in Montgomery County this summer.
Enjoy the Water
There are many fun water activities in and around Montgomery County. Here are some options to have some outdoor fun during the summer months:
- Enjoy a day at an “island resort” complete with a zero-entry pool, palm trees, multiple slides, floatable animals, and a tumble bucket at the Water Park at Bohr Park (Gaithersburg).
- Kids of all ages love the SplashPark at South Germantown Recreational Park. With a unique 280-jet water maze, a cave with a waterfall, tumble buckets, water slide, and spraying animals, the entire family will be entertained for the day.
- Located near Rockville Town Center, the Rockville Swim and Fitness Center features two indoor and three outdoor polls.
- Montgomery County Recreation Department maintains seven outdoor pools located in communities throughout the county. All pools are child-friendly and offer adult-only swim times as well.
- Another great way to stay cool while having fun is vertical paddle boarding. With all of the water that surrounds us here, it’s no wonder this is becoming such a popular choice!
- If you would like to take a day trip, look no further than Cunningham Falls State Park located in Frederick County. Surrounded by the beautiful Catoctin Mountains, visitors can enjoy a sandy beach and water activities at William Houck Lake or take a short hike to see Maryland’s highest cascading waterfall.
Nothing tastes better on a hot day than ice cream. One of the more-popular choices this summer is the Baked Bear. Located in Pike & Rose (Rockville), this newcomer opened its doors in May. This Southern Californian brand entices ice cream lovers across the county with its build-your-own ice-cream sandwiches with a twist. Customers can choose their favorite ice cream flavour(s) and toppings to sandwich between freshly baked cookies, brownies, or doughnuts.
Fun Out of the Sun
If you want to get out of the sun, there are many options locally for things to enjoy indoors. A quick search of the current Smithsonian exhibits will give you an interesting and varied choice of things to do. Other options include a visit to Strathmore (North Bethesda), the National Capital Trolley Museum (Colesville), and the Kid Museum (Bethesda).